Monday, August 4, 2008

brags 8.04.08

I've decided to start bragging, right here:

I brag that I made a very short business trip VERY pleasurable:
  • One of my colleagues took care of our ground transportation to the airport in a lovely hired towncar. I didn't have to do anything at all, except show up.
  • I was well taken care of during my outbound flight, by a friend of one of my friends who happens to be a flight attendant.
  • I got my desire to eat in the hotel restaurant the night of our arrival rather than have our group venture out into the ridiculous heat...
  • I said "no" to going for a walk because I wanted some Me time.
  • I ended my Thursday by lounging in a HOT TUB on a SUN DECK.
  • I started my Friday work-day by lounging in a HOT TUB on a SUN DECK at 6:30am. And getting a great view of the Rockies...
  • I wished a Hagrid-sized man to relocate himself out of the seat next to me and he moved across the aisle on my very delayed return flight (the seats were freed up once they pushed us back to the gate, and people decided to disembark), without me saying a word.
  • I, and the rest of the flight, received a free cocktail as, I suspect, a way to say "thank you for being so patient" due to the delay.
  • The woman next to me shared a candy bar with me, and gave me her magazine when she was finished... more importantly, we laughed a lot together.
  • and, I landed at the airport I had picked out on my ticket YAY!!!

I brag that I have been gifted the use of a man who loves to do stuff for women. Without any kind of compensation. Kind of a free personal servant. I still can't figure out the "how" of this one, but apparently there are men who like to do this (who knew? I'm still waiting for $200 from a man who swore he'd pay it back. I've totally given up on it.). The gift was from a friend of mine who has had several "houseboys" who will come over and clean for her, and its their pleasure to do so. Again, I repeat, there is no quid pro quo at all. Even, apparently, my gratitude is unnecessary. I brag I am learning that it is, for me, a challenge to come up with stuff for this guy to do, because I'm so used to and capable of doing nearly everything myself. This is a good skill-building for me on receiving, because, honestly, I'm unfortunately not very used to telling someone what I want and actually getting it. This lack has been frustrating, and hopefully, I'll be able to learn something about asking and receiving. I told this man (basically a total stranger who I'm not "interested" in) that I wanted flowers on my desk at work, and that I'm partial to daisies. This was truly a stretch for me, to allow myself to ask and receive, and not think I was being judged for either the asking or receiving.

No comments: