Monday, July 28, 2008

Paying Attention...

So,

I was walking back to my office after picking up my lunch. Thinking of how blown-away I am at the new information I found on the web... Married Catholic Priests, and women who've been excommunicated for becoming Catholic Priests... and people writing on a healthy view of sexuality from a Catholic point of view...

All this because I went to my uncle's wedding, where he and his new bride were married by a MARRIED Catholic Priest. Where my uncle's ex-wife was present (and wore the same dress as my mom (gasp!)) and the bride's ex-husband gave her away. Where I brough my cousin's new beau as my date, and she brought a guy as a friend who she potty trained with (and his parents were there too). Where my other cousin from New Hampshire totally dug my other cousin's girlfriend's Yorkshire (England) accent. Oh yes, we are a modern family! (All else I can say is I had a great time, was a bridesmaid and looked totally hot-haute!)

I was going to write about how much material this gives me on the partnership between men and women in marriage as equals, each playing their own part but equal partners, not with man-as-head and woman subservient, and not coming from its backlash -- a place of angry feminist / "yes dear" male, but instead, a man and woman really, truly as partners. Nourishing each other.

And then I stepped in gum.

The still, small voice. The reflection of the everything in little things. The reminder that I asked one of my male coworkers to kill a HUMUNGOUS cockroach who was petitioning to be the office pet (yeeecccchhhhh....) this morning.

The stepping in gum. "Keep your feet stuck to the ground." Methinks.

I've known for a while its time for me to make room and finish projects. Take exams I've been putting off, de-clutter and release that which no longer is relevant. So, rather than muse upon the wonderful world of the people who love being Catholic enough to argue with it, I'll just keep my feet stuck to the ground.

No comments: