Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Stick a Fork in Me…aka Being “Done”

I’ve had a bit of an epiphany that I’ll share with all of you.

You know at Thanksgiving when you eat all the turkey, smashed ‘tatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, more turkey, stuffing, hand me a roll and some butter please, and cranberrysauce you can, and then, even though it all smells SO good, you can’t possibly have another bite? That would be, “I’m Full.”

It’s pretty easy to see that there are other kinds of indulgences too where you get to that point. In fact, this applies to Anything. It’s the same thing that happens to cats who’ve chased a laser pointer around the living room for an hour, who go hide themselves under a couch because if they see the laser pointer they’ll keep chasing it.

This occurs in other directions too. People have their breaking points. The “take this job and shove it” moment. The “this movie stinks so badly I’m not staying to see the end” moment (which apparently my parents thought of Reds, iirc).

Its all about boundaries. My boundaries for me. Your boundaries for you. And, just like on Thanksgiving, or that first time you drank too much at a party, sometimes you’ve got to press into those boundaries, find out where they are, so you know them the next time they show up.

The thing to know about boundaries is that there’s always more to be had on the other side of it. More turkey. More abuse from a boss. More street vendors selling knockoff perfumes. More ice cream. More compromise. More party.

And just because there’s more, doesn’t mean its going to get any better, or change, particularly if you don’t like it now.

There is always more. Of everything. Good, bad, mediocre… whatever.

Why? Because we live in an abundant universe where we make our own rules.

Leaning into a bad situation, or a boring one, only makes it persist.

Ignoring blessings in your life, or dishonoring them, or downplaying them, will have them go away faster.

Knowing when you’re full… full of giving or full of receiving, is essential.

Knowing how to let go of what blessings you have received and bless it, to allow more good into your life, is the way to bring in more...


I have more thought on this, but that's all I can do for now. I'm done.

1 comment:

VeganHeartDoc said...

Hey, I get to be your blog's first comment!
Deep stuff :) Glad to see you are prolific. Come check out my blog: veganheartdoc.blogspot.com