Thursday, February 26, 2009

people do what people do...

Hangers.

Wire hangers from the dry cleaner...
wooden hangers from someplace expensive...
nice plastic/metal hangers from a department store that came with the suit...
plastic hangers purchased in bunches from kmart...
lingere hangers with poofy satin...

they all do the same thing, but, in my opinion, some are nicer than others!
and some more appropriate than others for hanging up coats.

there's a closet at my office where coats can be hung up if desired. Inside, there was about a dozen cheapie beat up wire hangers from somebody's dry cleaning, and a couple of nice hangers.

I felt a bit guilty when I took up a nice hanger, thinking it was like a guest hanger or something... but it didn't stop me from doing it.

So, as I have an excess of totally reasonable plastic hangers at home (and a few department store hangers) I donated a few to my office closet a few months ago. Now, there are plenty of sturdy hangers to put a midwinter coat on. I thought that at some point someone would pitch the cheapie wire hangers, as clearly, the hangers have been upgraded.

Know what?

there are people still using... Choosing of their own free will, the less sturdy, less pretty wire hangers... with nice sturdy plastic hangers sitting right nearby and empty, and the guest hangers sometimes empty, sometimes full, like "employee of the month" parking spots at a company.

I find this funny, and very educational. I don't know why people pick the wire hanger, and its possible they're not even thinking about it, but they've been using a wire hanger for 52 years (dammit) and they're not going to upgrade because, bygosh, the wire hanger was good enough before and its good enough now.

but you can't really suggest that they switch to a different hanger without bearing resemblance to Joan Crawford. So, its best to leave it as it is.

(besides, as I've found out both as the receiver of unwanted suggestions, and the giver of unwanted suggestions... the receiver can be quite often insulted that you think they arent already making the best available choice... or can feel like the giver is telling the receiver what to do, when they're just suggesting an alternative... and for a stupid wire hanger it's really not worth the trouble!)

Please feel free to take this as a metaphor for any habit -- a joyless life, talking about cranky things you have no control over (like the people who send you cranky emails, or who use cheapie hangers when better ones are available), or... happyness and abundance.

Of course if you really do want the wire hanger (and why not, you picked it...) who am I to say its wrong?

1 comment:

Eva said...

I would totally utilize plastic sturdier hangers. My habit has been to drape my coat on my the back of my chair.

Years ago I would hang my coat in the office closet only to find mine had been thrown to the floor, and replaced on the hanger was someone else's coat. I couldn't believe it. I even asked why she did this to my coat and she just looked at me. WTF? It was the boss's wife and decide after that to decided hang it off my chair or keep it near my desk.