Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Have to get this out of my system...

Do you remember those little girls in elementary school who would tease, pick on, and gossip and spread lies about other little girls so that they'd somehow be "more popular"?

well, somehow these bitchy whiney little girls have grown up to be old cranky right-wing men. I get more spam and lie-ridden emails from republicans than I do from democrats. And I go back and do my best to fact-check them all (which is a total waste of my time, because, true or false, these emails don't add anything to my life but aggrevation). I go on http://www.snopes.com/ to root it out, but today I've just about had enough.

(if you're interested, the latest email is the one where ollie north tells everyone during the iran contra hearings that he installed a 60K home security system to protect his family against osama bin laden)

Do they do it to get attention? are they pissed that their candidate didn't win the election? are they grumpy about the bailout?

yes, probably.

but if you were a grown-up, and you were a parent or teacher to one of those little girls, what would you think?

and really. Does it make a person's case look better or worse for sending emails that are filled with lies? Such nice church-going folk. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor. Go back to sunday school, you need a refresher.

(P.S... I got a response from the spamming nutjob who is parading as a sane, rational person... in a pitiful attempt at his own self-defense, he points out that snopes.com (with all of its footnoting and fact checking) could be false too. Yes dumba$$, that would be my point to begin with. Why did you send out the inflammatory and false email IN THE FIRST PLACE. See, there really is no need for a vast left-wing conspiracy... fearful right-wingers are doing a damn good job at making themselves look totally irrelevant and careless and the-sky-is-falling.)


P.P.S.... and then, she hears about a (muslim) man in Buffalo New York who has been charged with beheading his wife (who had filed for divorce.. and indicated domestic violence). And thinks that the statement of the obvious dangers of self-serving stupidity cannot be underlined any further than in this news story. I rest my case.

No comments: